Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Marriage Licence

Marriage Licence Application and Requirements

A marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for three (3) months after its issue date.

If you plan to marry outside of the province or the country, be sure to verify the requirements for the appropriate jurisdiction.

Applying for a Marriage Licence

  1. Review the requirements listed below
  2. Complete the marriage licence application
  3. For online applications, download and print
  4. Ensure the application is signed and date by both partners
  5. Bring the application to the Licensing Clerk at City Hall
  6. Bring two (2) pieces of original and valid identification for each partner
  7. Either partner can apply for the licence, if the application has been dated and signed by both and the required identification is in hand
  8. Pay the City of Kenora licensing fee of $150

Marriage Licence Requirements

Age Minimum

The minimum age to be married in Ontario is 16 years of age.

Under 18 years of age, parental consent is a must.

A person under the age of 16 is not permitted to marry in the Province of Ontario.


Each partner must submit two (2) pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married.  One piece of identification must include your photo.

Examples of government-issued identification:

  • government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
  • valid passport
  • record of immigrant landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • valid driver’s licence
  • valid Ontario Photo Card

NOT accepted as identification:

  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card

Previous Marriage Documentation

Divorced in Canada

An original or a certified copy of the Final Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be submitted with the application. Certification must be obtained through the Court where the divorce was granted.

Divorced Outside of Canada

If a previous marriage was dissolved or annulled outside of Canada, the Marriage Act requires that authorization must be obtained from the Office of the Registrar General before a marriage licence can be issued.

To obtain the authorization, the following documents must be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar General at ServiceOntario:

  1. A marriage licence application fully completed and signed by both parties. Form is available at this link: Marriage Licence Form
  2. A copy of the decree of divorce or annulment certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction the divorce/annulment was granted. If the decree is in a language other than English or French, a certified translation must be provided.
  3. A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each foreign divorce and signed by both applicants.
  4. A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario. For specific information regarding the contents of the opinion letter, contact the Office of the Registrar General.

The above documents must be forwarded to:

Service Ontario – Marriage Office
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 6L8

After receiving authorization from the province, the document must be submitted to our office along with the application form, licence fee and any other applicable documents the applicants can attend City Hall to obtain the marriage licence.

Related Links

Civil Marriage Services

Getting Married in Ontario?