E-billing Contest Results

E-Billing Contest Winner Selected

In March we launched the E-billing Contest to encourage residents to sign up for e-billing for water/sewer and hydro accounts.
Thank you to everyone who signed up. We had almost 700 people sign up!

The GRAND PRIZE winner was selected by using a random number selector, based on the assigned number on the online account spreadsheet. The winning number was 165, who turned out to be Nicole Harris-Delorme.  Nicole won $250 of City of Kenora merchandise and a historical tour of City Hall.

 

Christmas Public Swims and Skate Schedule

Holiday Swims and Skates

The Kenora Recreation Centre has planned a full schedule of holiday skating and swimming starting Sunday, December 23rd to keep families active over the Christmas break.

Triple P.L.A.Y has sponsored various swims and skates which means admission is FREE!  Check the schedule for those sponsored times.

Once again, the Kenora Rotary Club is hosting a FREE family fun evening on New Year’s Eve from 4 – 7 p.m.

Christmas Holiday Public Swims and Skates 2018

 

Fire Safety Over the Holidays

Cooking, Smoking, and Alcohol – A Dangerous Mix

With the holiday season upon us, we are entering one of the most festive times of the year. But it can also be a deadly time of the year.

City of Kenora Fire and Emergency Services urges everyone to include fire safety in all holiday celebrations. This includes paying special attention when cooking during the holidays, and to drink responsibly. Provincial statistics reveal that careless cooking is the number one cause of fires and the second leading cause of fatal fires.

“The hustle and bustle of the holidays can dramatically increase your risk of having a fire,” says Fire Chief Todd Skene. “All too often, these fires are started by unattended cooking and in many cases alcohol is involved. We want everyone to be fire safe and fully enjoy the holidays.”

Smoking is another leading cause of fires during the holiday season. “Make sure smokers extinguish cigarettes in large deep ashtrays – not in plant pots which may contain peat moss or shredded bark that can easily ignite,” continued Fire Chief Skene. “Ashes should be emptied in a metal container – not the garbage can – and put outside.”

City of Kenora Fire and Emergency Services also reminds everyone about the law requiring working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas. Take a few minutes to test your smoke alarms and make sure everyone in the home knows exactly what to do if the smoke alarms sound in an emergency. Develop and practice a home escape plan with everyone in the home.

Enjoy a fire safe holiday season by following these tips:

• Stay in the kitchen when cooking. Cooking is a major cause of home fires, so don’t leave the kitchen if there’s something cooking on the stove. If a pot catches fire, don’t try to move it. Cover the pot with a lid to smother the flames and turn off the burner.
• Keep things that can burn such as cooking utensils and paper towels a safe distance from the stove as they can easily ignite if they are too close.
• Keep an eye on any drinkers in your household and make sure all cigarettes are properly extinguished and the stove is off before going to bed.
• Cigarettes can smoulder among upholstered items for hours before igniting. Check sofas and chairs for cigarettes that may have fallen between the cushions. Provide large, deep ashtrays for smokers.
• Drink responsibly. Excessive alcohol consumption is a contributing factor in many residential fires.
• Install and maintain working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms outside all sleeping areas of the home. Smoke alarms also are required on every storey. Failure to comply with the smoke and carbon monoxide alarm requirements can result in a ticket for $360 or a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals and $100,000 for corporations.
• Develop and practice a home escape plan with everyone in the home.

If you have questions about fire safety or require any help with smoke or carbon monoxide alarms, please contact Fire and Emergency Services at 807-467-2090 or drop by Station One, 100 Fourteenth Street North, Kenora.

Todd Skene, Fire Chief/Emergency Management Coordinator
807-467-2107
tskene@kenora.ca