Residents Urged to Attend Local Fireworks Display

To minimize the risk of fire and burn injuries on Canada Day, Kenora Fire and Emergency Services urges residents to attend the fireworks display at the Whitecap Pavilion instead of informal family or neighbourhood displays.

“Tourism Kenora will be hosting a fireworks display on Monday night, with experts who are trained to handle and discharge fireworks safely,” says Fire Chief Todd Skene. “For everyone else, fireworks can be extremely dangerous and costly should something go wrong. For this reason, family fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays are not recommended.”

If you still choose to have your own fireworks display, be aware that you are completely responsible for the cost for Emergency Services to extinguish a fire and other damage caused by detonation of your own fireworks.

Fireworks may be set off on Canada Day in the City of Kenora between 7 pm and 11 pm, as well as on New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Victoria Day, Labour Day, and US Independence Day.

Here are some important safety tips to be followed:
• Appoint a responsible person to be in charge. Only adults who are aware of the hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks.
• Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.
• Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
• Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.
• Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.
• Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks. For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal container.
• Discharge fireworks only if wind conditions do not create a safety hazard.
• Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns. As the sparkler wire remains hot for some minutes after burnout, it should be immediately soaked in water to avoid injury.
• If someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.

For more information on fireworks regulations in the City of Kenora, please contact Fire Station One at 807-467-2090.