Did You Know?
Recreational vehicles (i.e. travel trailers) and similar vehicles shall be permitted in any zone subject to provisions. Occupancy is prohibited except where explicitly zoned, such as a campground zoned Tourist Recreational Zone (TR).
Good to Go
- It is parked or stored in a garage
- It is parked or stored in an interior side or rear yard and set back a minimum of 0.6 m from any lot line and the line dividing the side or rear yard from the front yard
- It is hidden from the view of a street and abutting properties
- It is stored in any residential driveway between May 1st and October 31st
- It is stored in an interior side or rear yard in any residential, rural residential or rural zone provided that a total length of any recreational vehicles/boats/trailers and similar vehicles do not exceed a total length of 11 m and they are setback 0.6 m from any lot line and the line dividing the side or rear yard from the front yard
Cannot Be Parked or Stored
- In any portion of a front yard in residential areas, including: R1- Residential First Density; R2- Residential Second Density; R3- Residential Third Density; RR-Rural Residential zones
- In any commercial zone, unless commercial storage or commercial sales are permitted
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Occupy a Trailer on a Vacant Lot?
No. Unless zoned Tourist Recreational, occupation of a recreational vehicle or similar vehicle is not a permitted use.
Can I Occupy a Trailer if I Plan on Building a House?
No. Unless granted approval for a Temporary Use By-law, or other Planning Act application approval, a recreational vehicle or similar vehicle cannot be occupied on any lot, unless zoned TR-Tourist Recreational.
Can My Friends/Family Stay in A Trailer While Visiting?
No. Unless zoned Tourist Recreational, occupation of a recreational vehicle or similar vehicle is not a permitted use, even if occupancy is temporary.
What About Occupying a Tent?
Similar to recreational vehicles, trailers, and similar vehicles, occupying a tent (camping) is only a permitted use in the TR-Tourist Recreational zone. The use of tents is prohibited in all other zones (i.e. Residential), including Black Sturgeon Lake (Restricted Development Area) (BSL).
If you have any questions or require more information, please contact one of the following staff:
City of Kenora Zoning Bylaw No. 101-2015 Section 3.6